Position Title: Laboratory Supervisor
CVPeople Tanzania | Full time
Reports To Plant Supervisor or Plant Manager
Location North Mara
Purpose of position
To support the plant with accurate onsite trusted analysis for correct decision making. To service, maintain and calibrate all laboratory and on-line analysers. Trouble shoot all laboratory faults, errors and quality excursions. Provide leadership for all staff performing analytical work on site.
What are the key areas of responsibility?
- Monitor safety, equipment and quality risk at all times and report any significant change in risk.
- Be pro-active in hazard identification and correction.
- Ensure all analytical routines and schedules are being complied with.
- Ensure the long-term health and sustainability of the laboratory equipment.
- Ensure daily analytical results are recorded on shift logs.
- Electronically store all analytical results.
Daily Laboratory Operations
- To oversee, manage and direct the activities of the plant laboratory, ensuring procedures are being correctly applied.
- Provides technical consultation to plant operations staff in the evaluation and solution of problems where laboratory analysis is necessary.
- Ensures that the correct chemical control measures are always followed.
- Keep records of all equipment services and repairs.
- Ensure all equipment is being serviced by approved service providers at the required intervals.
- Arrange all repairs.
- Ensure the long-term health and sustainability of the laboratory equipment
- Ensure the necessary samples are taken at prescribed intervals.
- Ensure that sample are taken according to the prescribed procedures.
- Ensure external laboratory samples are taken on schedule and results reviewed for any out of specifications.
- Plans, organizes, supervises and reviews the work of staff engaged in laboratory sampling, testing and analysis of samples and ensure safe working conditions.
- Ensure all relevant analyses are conducted in line with the quality standards.
- Review of the daily analyses, immediately reporting any out of specifications.
- Ensures regulatory compliance and lab certification (if applicable); implements and reviews quality assurance/quality control program to ensure reliability of test data.
- Perform monthly stock control of all assets and consumables.
- Maintain stock levels, ensuring stock does not run out.#
- Apply the first in first out principle on consumables to ensure stock does not expire.
- Administers the laboratory budget; determines the cost of laboratory services; recommends outside laboratory services; co-ordinates laboratory services; monitors new developments and equipment related to laboratory operations; recommends the purchase of equipment and services.
- Track and report on stock consumptions.
- Daily reporting to Management on production, downtime, maintenance activities, feed and product quality and chemical inventory.
- Review daily log sheets on the plant performance.
- Monthly reporting to Management on production, downtime, maintenance, water quality and chemical inventory, spares inventory and HR matters.
Safety, Health & Environment
- Ensure all client and company policies and procedures are adhered to at all times.
- Ensure all work performed is covered by suitable risk assessments.
- Develop and review site laboratory standard operating procedures.
- Train all staff on laboratory related procedures and instructions.
- Assists in managing key performance areas for staff by setting and monitoring performance standards and taking action to correct deviations to achieve the section’s objectives.
- Directs the implementation of plans and programs to improve the efficiency of operations including cost control programs, staff utilization studies and continual improvements points.
- Conduct regular Planned Task Observations on staff. Housekeeping
- Ensure that good housekeeping practices on the plant are always maintained at a high level. A place for everything and everything in its place.
- Laboratory 3 years + Essential
- Supervisory experience 1 years + Essential
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment 3 years + Essential
- Knowledge of general laboratory chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.