Clinical Officer – Volunteers (2 Posts)
Job Summary Position: Clinical Officer – Volunteer (2 Posts)
Reports to: Research Officer/Project Leader
Work station: Bagamoyo
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for Clinical Officer – Volunteer to work in a phase III randomised controlled multi- centre trial to evaluate the efficacy of the R21/ Matrix- M vaccine in African children against clinical Malaria (VAC 078), to treat patients and communicate to the team the prospective study participants. The Volunteer will participate in community sensitisation meetings and establish rapport to recruit study participants; and will be required to work in a professional and ethical manner in line with approved trial protocol within strategic objectives of IHI, and the public health needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare the site and ensure that it has all the facilities which meet standards before conduct study and qualified staff to support a vaccine trial.
- Treat patients according to national Guidelines for clinical management and local guidelines.
- Attend internal and external clinical trial team meetings conducted from time to time.
- Participate in updating of study standard operating procedures and study documents.
- Recruit study participants and conduct follow ups according to specified trial protocol and standard operating procedures (SOPs) schedule.
- Ensure that, SOPs and related study documents are well communicated to the study team and are duly followed by personnel involved in the trial.
- Adhere to ethical principals in human research during the implementation of the trial.Assist the research officer to supervise the study team to adhere to procedures, according to approved protocol, ICH guidelines and any relevant local regulations.
- Assist the research officer to review the documents and perform clinical and physical examination during study visit.
- Participate any adverse event and report to the research officer and compile clinical notes of the study.
- Attend community sensitization meeting and attract study volunteers.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the project leader.
Qualification and Experience
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine.
- At least 1 year of working experience.
Skills and Competencies
- Time management to establish priorities and planning the project timelines.
- Knowledge of good clinical practice (GCP).
- Excellent computer skills.
- Self-motivated individual who is able to work with minimal supervision.
- Effective team work.
- Effective communication, collaborative and problem-solving skills.
- Able to meet deadlines.
- Good oral communications in English and Swahili.
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative.
An attractive and competitive volunteer package will be offered to successful candidates.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Friday April 23rd 2021. All e-mail application subject lines should read Clinical Officer – Volunteer – Clinical Trials Facility.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
Ifakara Street – Mikocheni
Dar es Salaam
The deadline for submitting the application is 23 April 2021