Position: Field Interviewers (3 posts)
Reports To: Project Leader
Work Station: Ifakara
Apply By: June 11th 2021
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
Ifakara is looking for three (3) qualified and experienced individuals to take the position of Field Interviewer and work as Community Health Workers (CHWs) in the Heart and Lung Clinic and the St. Francis Referral Hospital (SFRH) in Ifakara. The Field Interviewer plans and promotes the community outreach programs, facilitates patient flow between Clinic and the SFRH and participate in data collection in community outreach. The Heart and Lung Clinic is a monitoring tool for understanding regarding the diagnosis, treatment, mortality, prognosis and control of PPCM in rural sub-Saharan Africa. The study will be implemented to describe the disease spectrum and treatment of the patient attending the cohort. The study will be carried out in Kilombero, Ulanga and Malinyi districts, to provide epidemiological and clinical baseline data for improving healthcare and public health.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitates and harmonize patient flow between clinic and the rest of the SFRH.
- Participate in data collection and community outreach programs.
- Triage study patients, (sorting of patients according to the urgency of their need for care).
- Learn basic Heart and Lung disease continuum of care need for a community health worker (CHWs).
- Transfer Knowledge to other CHWs within Kilombero valley.
- Support and implement research services in the Heart and Lung clinic in collaboration with the hospital, governmental authorities and National programs for chronic diseases.
- Familiarization and implement the Heart and Lung study protocol.
- Collaboration with responsible collaborators of St. Francis Referral Hospital within the existing research platform of the Kilombero and Ulanga Antiretroviral Cohort (KIULARCO) and District authorities of health programs and with stakeholders such as Boresha Afya.
- Contribution in planning, coordination, and performance of research activities/studies organized by IHI and other partners.
- Perform and coordinate research activities at the clinic supervised by Project leader and Principal investigator.
- Any additional task by the Project Leader.
Qualification and Experience
- Form IV or form VI, preferably with Certificate in community health worker, Community based health training in any medical discipline.
- Experience in clinical care for heart and lung disease, HIV and TB.
Skills and Competencies
- Willingness to learn and perform Spirometry, 24-hour ECG and 24-hour Blood pressure measurement.
- Clinical research and manuscript writing.
- Fluent in English and Swahili.
- Ability to transfer knowledge.
- Interest in preventive cardiovascular and respiratory medicine.
- High motivation for research activities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Professional attitude to work and clear work ethics.
- Ability to work under stress.
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Friday 11th June,2021. All e-mail application subject lines should include: Field Interviewer – Heart and Lung Clinic and SFRH.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.