Kilombero Sugar Company Limited (KSCL), the largest producer of sugar in the country operating cohesively with Extra Neutral Alcohol Distillery is seeking to recruit a dynamic, visionary and result oriented person to fill the position of Agronomist Operation at Estate Agriculture Department reporting to Agriculture Optimisation Manager.
Provide direction and technical guidance on crop varieties, crop nutrition, crop protection (weed control and Pest + Disease control) and irrigation to ensure long-term optimization of yield and cost of production, Drive implementation of the “lllovo Way in sugar cane production” to ensure lllovo is the best in class sugar producer in the Country, Ensure compliance to relevant lllovo Ways and agronomic standards, Monitor best farming practice in all aspects of agronomy, Promote and support embedding of agronomic best practices for Country agriculture teams, Design, implement and manage sugar cane agronomic trials and Promote a culture of continuous improvement across all.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Implement sustainable agronomic practices with the objective of closing the gap between the actual and the attainable yield potentials for each field on each estate Support adoption and embedding of agreed best practices, frameworks, minimum standards and processes for agronomy
- Implement and manage sugar cane agronomic trials (fertilizers and crop protection) required by the head of agricultural optimisation as part of a continuous productivity initiative
- Formulate, communicate and monitor fertilizer, weed control and ripener programmes (including 3rd party contractor management)
- Manage Estate nursery fields, monitor seed quality, and ensure regular disease inspections are carried out Ensure all commercial and nursery fields are timeously surveyed for pests and diseases, and that their infestation levels and recommendations are communicated to the relevant parties
- Ensure all agronomic data is captured for trend analysis, reporting and decision making
- Support agronomic optimisation by adopting new technologies and methods and ensure continuous improvement by implementing best practices and conducting regular system checks
- Develop new SOPs per requirements and assure performance against agronomy-related
- Monitor trends to understand impact of adopted practices, and refine practices accordingly
- Provides agronomic advice to Growers
- Promote and adhere to lllovo’s procedures, policies and guidelines, including, without limitation, those relating to SHERQ, Competition Law and Anti-Bribery and Corruption (ABC)
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture/Diploma in Agriculture
- 5 years’ experience in sugar cane agriculture
- Research orientated with experience in agronomic experiments, trial work and evaluation
- Good business acumen and agricultural expertise, with ability to anticipate, interpret and respond to changes impacting on functional area
- A formal business/commercial qualification would be an advantage
- Strong agriculture data analysis skills
Terms of service: The successful candidate will be engaged on Permanent Contract.
HOW TO APPLY
All interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should send their application letters and CVs with three referees indicating “Agronomist Operation” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 18th June, 2021.
KSCL is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disability are highly encouraged to apply.