The AML Analyst is responsible for, inter alia:
• Ensuring efficient identification and monitoring of suspicious activities.
• Ensure timeous reporting of suspicious transactions to the HOD Risk & Compliance & MLRO
Key accountabilities and decision ownership
• Investigate and assess alerts for potential sanctions alerts and clear daily logs resulted from transaction monitoring alerts.
• Ensure efficient identification and monitoring of suspicious activities and transactions and daily assessment of AML reports for potential suspicious activities.
• Maintain a current understanding of money laundering and terrorist financing issues, including policies, procedures, regulations, industry best practice, criminal typologies and developing trends.
• Perform monthly AML risk based review and analysis on individual and business accounts and made recommendations for further review.
• Conduct investigations on cases and alerts produced through M-PESA system or through internal referrals (SAR reviews).
Core competencies, knowledge and experience
• Knowledge and understanding of International Anti-money laundering efforts and agencies (e.g FATF).
• Knowledge in report writing.
• High level of computer literacy exceptionally conversant with Word and excel.
• Solid interpersonal, analytical skills and customer oriented approach.
• Strong communication skills, fluency in English and Kiswahili.
• Strong database skills, including working with advanced data sets, pivot tables, advanced database and statistical functions and methods.
• Excellent use of Excel and other analytical tools.
• Ability to quickly grasp and understand business unit specific AML risks, develop comprehensive user requirements, and provide recommendations for appropriate automated solutions to mitigate those risks
Must have technical/professional qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
• Professional qualification in Anti Money Laundering will be added advantage.
• At least three (3) years’ experience working as Analyst in AML space in financial or non-financial institutions.
* Provides a high quality of service and ensures work is completed accurately;
* Proactively takes actions to make improvements based on practical experience;
* Provides informal guidance and support to new team members when required;
* Has a thorough knowledge of relevant procedures and processes in the department;
* Uses communication skills to exchange ideas and information in a concise and logical way with sensitivity to the needs and expectations of the audience;
* Uses judgement based on analysis of information and resolves problems by identifying and selecting solutions through the application of acquired technical experience;
* May act as the systems/tools expert.