Business And Communication AssociateSMART CODES
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Founder & CEO @SmartCodes with a passion for Technology, Innovation and Advertising | Helping young African startups flourish and grow via @SmartLab255 #UNTILITSDONE
Smart Lab is an innovation platform that links learning institutions with corporate partners to empower groundbreaking solutions that will impact African communities. We connect entrepreneurs and product builders with our innovative talent, world-class clients, and partners to take extraordinary African companies to scale. Smart Lab also provides the entrepreneurs with resources – our time, creative support, infrastructure, and business acumen – to scale and build their company. Smart Lab is under Smart Codes, an award-winning digital agency founded in 2010, committed to solving African problems with more than 60 employees. Based on the successes of our joint partnership with Vodacom Tanzania for the Vodacom Digital Accelerator, and with another partnership with Human Development Innovation Fund as well as UKAID for the University Outreach Program, we’re expanding our amazing team.
As part of this expansion, Smart Lab is looking to recruit a Business & Communication Associate. This role will be responsible for implementing the Smart Lab’s communication strategy. The Business & Communication Associate will possess expertise in digital communications, visual communications, content development, and writing and editing. The Associate will provide oversight of our communications efforts related to branding, tone, quality control, and business positioning. The Associate will monitor and maintain Smart Lab’s social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.) and Web site, blog, newsletters and continually create and update communication/marketing materials. As needed, the Associate also will support Business Development efforts. This position works closely with the Lab Manager to ensure that corporate partners as well as those selected for the program are of the highest quality. The ideal candidate is dynamic, charismatic, entrepreneurial, and deeply connected to the corporate ecosystem with proven experience.
- Managing new businesses in Smart Lab’s pipeline
- Working closely with the lab manager and project associates
- Using technical knowledge to pitch digital programs to potential corporate partners
- Responding to corporate inquiries in a timely manner, providing accurate information, and creating a great customer experience for every potential client
- Negotiating terms with new accounts based on company guidelines and parameters while also taking ownership of the sale process and closing deals
- Follow-up on qualifying leads, and conduct research to improve Smart Lab’s programs and initiatives.
- You are looking to build valuable connections and work closely with brilliant folks from the tech industry
- You want to be part of an ambitious, fast-moving team
- You want to develop your ability to work with the head of departments and senior management of corporates
- You want to gain solid exposure to the Corporate/ Tech ecosystem
- Co-lead end-to-end business development strategy with Lab Manager
- Analyze and conduct research regularly on industry, market, and best practices to stay updated on the latest happenings
- Identify, develop, and execute new strategies for business growth
- Prepare pitches and proposals, and follow up with leads
- Propose recommendations for structuring well-defined partnership deals
- Maintain strong relationships with our corporate partners and clients
- Generate new business leads and opportunities through emails/LinkedIn, networking, etc
- Create and promote content on Smart Lab’s and corporate partners’ social media channels.
- Ensure a creative yet consistent look and feel that adheres to, and supports the Smart Lab’s brand.
- Ensure a creative yet consistent look and feel that adheres to, and supports the Smart Lab’s brand
- Implement the Smart Lab digital communications strategy, focusing on social media management, blogging, email marketing, and Web site.
- Manage Smart Lab’s positioning across all social media channels.
- Publish content to, and update key pages on, Smart Lab’s Web site, social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, Instagram).
- Advise team on implementing Smart Lab’s brand through imagery, communication strategy.
- Write occasional press releases and outside communications;
- Other duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Help forge strategic partnerships with individuals and local hubs who can help promote Smart Lab’s content, activities, and programs.
- Provide research insights to improve Smart Lab’s communications;
- Help ensure that content created reaches maximum impact by supporting the development of strategies for distribution from the outset, boosting the visibility of our content on relevant Smart Lab’s channels
- Continually maintain and upgrade communications skills, keeping abreast of emerging platforms and tools, and systematically reviewing media impact results and other measurement tools for learning purposes.
- Assist in the implementation of campaigns, events, and other initiatives in support of Smart Lab’s strategic objectives, including its need for a leading share of voice on innovation.
- At least 2+ years’ experience in business development within the tech/digital area
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to represent Smart Labs at a high level with startups, corporates, international NGO’s, and the local entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Ability to juggle multiple deadlines and deliver accurate and timely materials
- Good understanding of the wider objectives of Smart Lab’s initiative and business goals.
- Ability to work positively with a wide range of individuals
- Ability to win five and six-figure contracts with confidence
- Strong leadership and management skills
- The ability to find innovative ways to resolve problems
- University Degree required MBA preferred.
- SaaS sales experience would be a real positive
- Understanding of Digital Marketing, Conversation Rate Optimisation, A/B Testing
- Degree in Business, Communication or Marketing
- Basic knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite, and Canva.
- Experience in writing copywriting for websites and social media.
- Experience with producing bite-sized video content for Instagram and Facebook stories.
- Experience with online content management software.
- Proactive focused, and resilient
- Effective time management skills / Ability to multi-task.
- A positive attitude and a desire to make a difference!
- Ability and willingness to work with all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to function as part of a team efforts
- Good interpersonal skills and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Oral and written fluency in both Swahili and English
- Experience in publishing content on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and WordPress
- Experience in creating and presenting digital media reports
CLICK HERE TO APPLY