Duty station: Dodoma
Fixed term contract
- The Advisor is responsible for managing support to the partner institution i.e the National Audit Office of Tanzania (NAOT) in the context of GIZ’s Good Financial Governance Programme (GFG) in collaboration with the GIZ Senior Technical Advisor provide professional advisory services to institutional development programme initiatives and cooperate with a broad range of target groups within and outside NAOT
- facilitating innovation, knowledge management and capacity building in both core and support functions of NAOT
- assisting with analysis of complex technical processes on External Audit to facilitate adherence to International Audit Standards regarding Supreme Audit Instutions
- proactively facilitate capacity building for NAOT staff and Oversight Committees of Parliament
- applying of principles, concepts, practices and standards in the area of Public Financial Management (PFM), Risk Management, Systems and Control.
1. Advising the partner institution
- assists and monitors the development and implementation of programme plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts
- contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint programme activities and work at the regional level
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the programme’s area of activity
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
- contributes to achieving the objectives of GIZ’s Good Financial Governance Programme (GFG) in the Field of Action on External Audit.
- provides technical in-depth advice on External Audit processes for NAOT, primarily as regards Compliance and Financial Audit using electronic working documentation programmes such as TeamMate.
- facilitate that high-quality management and professional practices are well established and applied in the Tanzanian Supreme Audit Institution
- promotes norms, standards and best practices of External Auditing in the Public Sector in accordance with international standards
- assists NAOT in developing performance measures to monitor the effectiveness of External Audit processes and results
- assists in strengthening dialogue with the Legislative and Executive Branches of Government so as to promote a common understanding of the role and need for independence of the Supreme Audit Institution (SAI) of Tanzania in exercising accountability in the public sector
- facilitates in cooperation with NAOT staff ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- facilitates in formulating need based Terms of Reference (ToR) for and hiring of consultants to implement development activities
- prepares appropriate inputs for various programme report
2. Networking and cooperation
- supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, assists with Public Relations (PR) work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the programme environment and with other programmes to improve and maintain good working relationships
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the programme
3. Knowledge management
ensures knowledge transfer to programme information
develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
draws up reports and presentation documents
prepares appropriate input for various programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office
assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint programmes.
4. Coordination tasks
- assists with general programme planning and develops programme concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- coordinates relevant programme activities at local level in consultation with the manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- handles order management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, programme progress review, reporting)
5. Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- is working on cross cutting topics for the overall programme (e.g. Gender, impact monitoring)
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- A University Degree in a relevant discipline such as economics, finance, accounting, business administration or public administration.
- Professional Certifications such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- At least 5 years of recent and relevant experience in Public Sector Auditing.
- Preferably, experience from working with or in a Supreme Audit Institution
- Working experience from Performance Audit would be an added value
- Skills and experience in executing control design assessments, identifying and mapping key risks, controls and gaps
- Experience and knowledge in creating, maintaining and interpreting technology policies, standards and procedures, and understanding their impact across organizations
Other knowledge, additional competences
- in-depth knowledge of the (political) environment, administrative structures and procedures
- profound knowledge of complex public sector reform processes and their challenges/dynamics
- fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Swahili
- willingness to frequent travels as required
- excellent team, communication and reporting skills including the application of basic IT tools (e.g. MS Office 365)
Interested candidates are requested to send their letter of application together with the CV and academic certificates by email to email@example.com
Please use the subject line ‘Advisor External Audit’
Closing date for submission: 17.05.2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability or any other minority group.