Operations Director (1) Medical Teams International
Department: Operations Grey Sections to be completed by Human Resources.
Team: Operations Job Code:
Reports to (position): Country Director Org. Reporting Line: Country Office
Location(s): Dar es Salaam Job Band: 19 Choose an item.
Workdays & Number of scheduled hours per week:
Monday-Friday, 40+ hours/week, occasional weekends, and public holidays FLSA: Salary, Exempt
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Position Type: Regular Employee EEO Job Class: First/Mid-Level Officials and Managers
Travel: Monday-Friday, 40+ hours/week, occasional weekends, and public holidays Last
If Manager of Staff: Number (and Titles) of Direct Reports: Senior Accountant, Procurement & Logistics Manager, Senior HR Officer, IT Officer, Grants Total # of Staff in Team/Department under management of this position: 4 Direct Reports
Medical Teams International Calling:
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
The Operations Director will be an experienced leader and manager who will lead continuous improvement in the operations and service functions of the office, building efficiency and speed of critical functions to increase Medical Team’s ability to deploy health services quickly and effectively to some of the world’s most vulnerable people.
Representation & CD support (15%)
- Works with the Country Director to lead and manage Medical Teams through significant strategic and organizational changes.
- Models and promotes MTI’s Calling and Values as they translate into Tanzanian context and priorities.
- Owns and leads achievement of the Operations Team’s Key Performance Areas of the Country Office strategy and business plan.
- Analyses and maintains an ongoing awareness of, and relationship with the regulatory and audit requirements and actors in Tanzania.
- Maintains a relationship with (USA) Headquarters’ Operations functions (Finance, Human Resource, Logistics and IT).
Management of Staff (15%)
- Manages and evaluates performance of direct reports and completes regular performance reviews.
- Responsible for building and modelling effective teamwork and coordination within department and the country office.
- Works with HR/Admin team to strengthen and improve employee engagement and retention, talent acquisition and development, as well as leadership development.
- Travels to field office and program locations to provide on-site support, supervision, and mentoring.
Business (Operations) Systems Leadership (70%)
- Ensures Medical Teams International is compliant with applicable Government laws and policies in Tanzania, Donor regulations and Medical Teams International’s internal policies and procedures by addressing any related concerns to the Country Director.
- Improves operational effectiveness by recording and sharing lessons-learned and best-practices across the operations function teams.
- Leads the optimisation of systems and processes in finance, human relations/administration, procurement and logistics, information technology and compliance through the application of the Field Operations Manual (FOM) and other global MTI policies and procedures.
- Leads in Budget Development for in country new project proposals and provide guidance on how best to utilize the approved budgets including leading initiation of the realignment process for submission to the donor.
- Provide leadership for all external and internal audit processes as well as ensuring implementation of all audit recommendations by management and ensure regular update of the audit and compliance matrix.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Utilize volunteers when appropriate.
- Additional duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
Required: Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics or Commerce or associated field
Required: Professional Certification/s (example: CPA, ACCA, CFA, CIMA)
Must be eligible to work and reside in Tanzania.
Required: Minimum 8 years of work experience in a busy organization providing oversight in business functions of Finance, Procurement, Logistics and Human Resources
Required: Proven track record of achieving results in a humanitarian context in the areas of finance, inventory management, procurement, supply chain and logistics in Tanzania or a developing country.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- In-depth knowledge of International Public Sector Accountant Standards (IPSAS); Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP), USAID Rules and Regulations, UNHCR Partner guidelines and other relevant donor requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of preparation and presentation of Financial Statements including audit preparation and compliance documentation.
- Sound Understanding of Human Resource practices, Procurement supply chain and logistics processes.
- In-depth knowledge of ERP systems and computerized accounting and procurement software such as Unit4.
- Skilled (and experienced) people manager
- Skilled in using an ERP system to process finance and procurement transactions and HR management.
- High degree of analytical and financial reporting skills
- Strong administrative skills in managing documentation and project funding information
- A good command of both written and spoken English, with strong interpersonal skills
- Capacity building skills including coaching and on job training.
- Ability to respond to tight deadlines and changing priorities
- Ability to maintain detailed records with high accuracy
- Highly organized with good quantitative analysis ability
- Ability to act with integrity and maintain the highest ethical standards
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information
- Ability to support Medical Teams Calling and adhere to the Medical Teams Code of Conduct
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee must be able to:
- Frequent use of a personal computer, database and digital platforms, and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine and computer printer.
- Frequently uses hands, fingers, and arms to reach, handle, touch or feel equipment, medical instruments, materials, computer.
- Frequent communication and exchange of information among colleagues and persons of concern which requires the ability to speak, hear, convey and express oneself.
- Frequent close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally ascends/descends stairs, steps, or ladder.
- Occasionally move about inside an office to access file cabinets, office machinery, meet with colleagues, etc.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 Kilograms.
- Seldom to occasionally positions self to Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- If in travel status, occasional to frequent traversing over rough or steep terrain in either a motor vehicle or on foot.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
The employee may be required to travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme hot or cold weather, and very basic living conditions.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department, or organization. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned; The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by Medical Teams International as the requirements of the job change.
All interested applicants who meet the criteria should email their application letter and CV in either PDF or Word only, including three work related referee to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Indicate your expected salary, current/previous salary, and notice period at the bottom of your CV.
Indicate clearly the position applied for in the subject line” Director of Operations”.
Application Deadline: 10th of May 2021 at 1700HRS.