Established in 1984, the Helen Keller Intl – Tanzania office was the organization’s first in Africa set up to provide primary eye care services in central Tanzania. Helen Keller Intl has since expanded its role and currently works in partnership with the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), Local Government Authorities (LGAs) local NGOs, and other national and international development partners in the areas of nutrition and neglected tropical diseases (NTDs), particularly trachoma elimination.
Program Assistant – Trachoma Surgical Outreach
Scope of the Position:
Helen Keller Intl Tanzania is an Implementing Partner in the trachoma programs supported by Sightsavers International. Through these programs we support district-level teams to conduct trachomatous trichiasis (TT) case finding and surgery in several districts in rural Tanzania. Helen Keller Intl is seeking Program Assistants interested in conducting field outreach and in program implementation who will support the planning and implementation of TT surgical camps in several regions and districts of Tanzania.
Position Title: Program Assistant, TT Surgical
Department: NTD Programs (TT Surgical)
Duty Station: Various
Reports to: Program Manager, TT Surgical
Direct reports: none
Duration: 13 months (June 1 2021 – June 30 2022)
• Assist the program manager to implement all activities for the elimination of the TT case backlog in rural districts of Tanzania including training and management of local Case Finders, managing surgical outreach camps, procuring equipment and consumables, and working closely with district surgical teams.
• Assist program manager in conducting ongoing and accurate collection and analysis of patient data in order to ensure that patients receive appropriate follow-up care as well as in order to share with donors, inform future efforts, and increase quality of services provided to the community.
• Serve as liaison to ensure strong planning and communication between district surgical teams, Helen Keller Intl staff, and district authorities.
• Compose field activity plans and reports, monthly and quarterly updates, meeting minutes, fund reconciliations, PowerPoint presentations, Excel statistical reports, and other required documentation as required by Helen Keller Intl.
Helen Keller International April, 2021
• Work with Helen Keller Intl and NTDCP teams to identify challenges to achieving the goal of trachoma elimination by 2030 and develop and implement solutions to overcome those challenges.
• Perform any other duties as directed by Program Manager.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
• Must possess a degree or diploma in a relevant field plus at least one (1) year of work experience in field-based health work in rural Tanzania, OR a minimum of four (4) years’ experience in the same.
• Experience working with Community Health Workers (CHWs) and Local Government Authorities (LGAs) is required.
• Applicants with experience in running Trachoma case finders’ trainings and outreach camps will be an added advantage
• Technical skills in NTDs, trachoma, or TT surgery planning are strongly preferred.
• Experience in hygiene and sanitation/environmental health is an added advantage.
• Must be willing to live and work full-time in rural districts of Tanzania, with frequent visits to remote villages.
• Demonstration of strong program planning, organizational, and communication skills.
• Must be competent in Microsoft packages (Excel, Word, etc.) and in use of email.
• Must be a Tanzanian national, fluent in Kiswahili and a working knowledge of English.
• Should be a strategic thinker, who possesses strong critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and current CV to Tz.email@example.com noting the specific job title in the subject line. Applicants must clearly describe their field-based health work experience in their cover letter. Applications will be accepted until 18th May ,2021.
HELEN KELLER INTL:
– DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, TEST, INTERVIEW, MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING)
– DOES NOT ASK FOR INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS
– DOES NOT RECRUIT THROUGH ANY RECRUITMENT AGENCY
Helen Keller is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce
where diversity of all types is fully valued
– All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to ethnicity, race, caste, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic that has no bearing on the ability to perform the required job duties.
– We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
– If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need to request an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact us at the email above.
DOWNLOAD OFFICIAL PDF FILE HERE!