The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position below:
Position Title: Physician (Part Time)
Vacancy Number: Dar es Salaam-2021-030
Medical Practice 70%
- Provides outpatient medical services for eligible children and adult patients :
- Provides timely appointments;
- Obtains history of medical complaint;
- Reviews past medical history bearing on medical issues;
- Provides physical examination of the patient;
- Discusses with the patient/parents medical findings and assessment;
- Orders appropriate tests from the HU resources or other specialty facilities in the community;
- Reviews medical tests with the patient/parents;
- Provides treatment through prescriptions, medical appliances such as splints, dressings, minor surgical procedures;
- Refers to expert medical consultant for specialized medical care in community, at the regional medical evacuation center, or in the US;
- Refers to hospital facilities for inpatient medical care in the community, at the regional medical evacuation center, or the US;
- Monitors patient with additional appointments to assess medical care measures and progress;
- Documents all care and services provided using customary methods of charting and review of reports.
Medical Expertise 10%
- Maintains medical expertise through obtaining required medical training, medical literature review and medical education credits needed for licensure and board certification.
- Participates in HU educational activities including providing training sessions for nurses in the use of emergency equipment, emergency response guidelines, emergency trauma responses to mass casualty situations, medical response for emergency situations such as chemical and biological weapons, and infectious emergencies such as pandemic influenza, Zika virus outbreaks, Ebola outbreaks, etc.
Preventative Medical Services 10%
- Provide preventative medical services for individual patients and the community as a whole through:
- Reviewing health history and health behaviors regularly as recommended by leading US authorities;
- Implements and monitors wellness programs and establishes healthy lifestyle programs in accordance with US standards;
- Oversees immunization program with emphasis on both individual immunization requirements and community immunization plans and processes;
- Obtains indicated screening studies and advise patients/parents regarding results;
- Participates in health education activities such as speaking to groups on health issues;
- The LE Staff physician, as part of the medical response team will be expected to identify illnesses and conditions that could threaten the health and well-being of mission personnel and take appropriate preventative actions;
- Provides community education and screening using standard management protocols.
Other Non-Medical Duties and Responsibilities 10%
- Maintains and decides the HU stock of pharmaceuticals and medical supplies inventory to ensure the HU is operating efficiently at any time $100,000
- Responsible for ensuring HU medical equipment are functioning and in operating condition and arranges services to fix equipment fault $100,000
- Sets budget priorities for HU and exercises fiscal responsibility.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three (3) years of clinical experience post-graduate training in primary care (Family Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics, or Internal Medicine) with at least 50% of the provider’s time involved with direct patient care during that time is required.
Medical Degree from an accredited Medical School and completion of appropriate post-graduate internship/residency/or fellowship is required. Must possess and maintains a current valid and unrestricted license to practice medicine within the host country, country of citizenship, or the U.S. is required.
LANGUAGE: Fluent in English (Written/Speaking/Reading) is required and Fluent in Kiswahili (Written/Speaking/Reading) is required. (this may be tested)
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
The U.S. Mission in Tanzania offers compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
AEFM / USEFM
FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, applicants MUST apply electronically via ERA.
For more information, visit this link https://tz.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
Copy of Medical degree
Proof of Citizenship
Copy of work permit if not TZ national
Other document (if any)
Other document 2 (if any)
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted only via email.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Tanzania.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted only via email.
The deadline for submitting the application is 03 August 2021.